MONTREAL (CityNews) – Montreal Canadiens Owner, President and CEO Geoff Molson has issued a statement following the backlash from drafting Logan Mailloux.
Molson apologized for the “pain this selection has caused” and added the team will develop a plan to raise awareness about this “serious issue”.
“I understand that you expect more from us and we let you down. The Montreal Canadiens are more than a hockey team. Logan’s actions do not reflect the values of our organization,” the statement read.
Montreal Canadiens owner issues a letter, apologizing for to those impacted by decision to draft Logan Mailloux.
— Courtney Theriault (@cspotweet) July 28, 2021
Mailloux, who the Canadiens picked on July 23, was fined by a Swedish court last year after being convicted of charges related to sharing, without her consent, a photo of a woman performing a sexual act.
WATCH: Women’s groups decrying Habs draft pick
The 18-year-old Mailloux, who had asked teams not to draft him, told reporters on Saturday that sharing the photo was “stupid” and “irresponsible.”
Being drafted into the NHL is an “honour and a privilege,” he wrote in the statement, adding he didn’t feel that he has “demonstrated strong enough maturity or character to earn that privilege in the 2021 Draft.”
Molson did not say the team plans to distance itself from the player, however did say Mailloux would not participate in the rookie or main training camp this fall.
Molson added that as the year progresses, the team will reassess Mailloux’s readiness to be part of the organization.
The team also said that it plans to use its platform as a way to bring “meaningful and impactful change.”
Molson also said the decision to draft the player was not intended to be an “endorsement of the culture of violence against women.”
He did add that the victim in the case should not have to suffer through a traumatic experience like this, adding that the team is there to support her and her family and also respect their privacy.