Loading articles...

Country singer Paul Brandt won't perform if Calgary Stampede goes ahead

Paul Brandt performs at the Canadian Country Music Awards in Calgary on September 8, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

CALGARY — The Calgary Stampede is expected to go ahead this summer, but the country music star initially pegged to headline the main stage won’t be taking part.

Paul Brandt says he won’t be performing at the world-renowned rodeo and fair if it goes ahead in July.

The Calgary musician says in a statement that he looks forward to returning to stages everywhere, including the Stampede, when the time and opportunity is right.

RELATED: Chucks cancelled, evening show ‘reimagined’ due to COVID-19, says Stampede

Stampede officials say plans are for a scaled-down event with a priority on safety.

There are no plans to hold chuckwagon races as competitors have been on a long layoff due to COVID-19.

Brandt headlined the grandstand show during the Stampede’s centennial year in 2012 and was set for a repeat performance last year before the pandemic forced organizers to cancel it.