Loading articles...

Trees removed at intersection of Humboldt Broncos bus crash

Last Updated Mar 18, 2021 at 2:24 pm MDT

A truck goes through the intersection near the memorial for the 2018 crash where 16 people died and 13 injured when a truck collided with the Humboldt Broncos hockey team bus, at the crash site on Wednesday, January 30, 2019 in Tisdale, Sask. Saskatchewan's privacy commissioner has found eight people inappropriately accessed the electronic health records of ten Humboldt Broncos team members involved in the bus crash last April. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz

REGINA — The Saskatchewan government has removed a stand of trees that was near the site of the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash three years ago.

Sixteen people were killed and thirteen others injured when a semi-truck driver missed a stop sign at a rural intersection and drove into the path of the junior hockey team’s bus.

A safety review after the crash found that trees mostly on private property could obstruct the sightline of drivers coming from the same directions as the semi-truck and bus had been that day.

The review recommended the trees be removed

READ MORE: Father of Logan Boulet disturbed over preference given to Alberta speed limit bill

The Ministry of Highways says the landowner rejected a government offer of compensation, so the province expropriated the land and removed the trees in late February.

The safety review made 13 recommendations in all to improve the intersection near Tisdale, Sask., where the crash occurred.

Highways spokesman David Horth says the only one left outstanding is for SaskPower to relocate some transmission lines.

He says that’s to be done later this year.