Loading articles...

Fire department advises smoke alarm precautions after candle fire close call

A Calgary Fire Department truck takes part in a drive-by birthday celebration. (CREDIT: City of Calgary)

CALGARY (660 NEWS) – A candle fire has caused extensive damage to a part of a Calgary home and fire crews are saying smoke alarms might not have been functioning correctly.

Luckily, all five people in the building managed to make it out safely, partly due to the person who knocked over the candle closing the door to the room in his escape from the flames.

The fire department says to use extreme care when burning candles.

Make sure the candle is not close to anything flammable, blow it out when leaving the room, and always make sure your smoke detectors are working properly by checking them once a month and replacing them every 10 years.