CALGARY (660 NEWS) – Fire crews believe lightning caused a house fire in the city’s northeast on Saturday – one of four blazes in a busy day for the Calgary Fire Department.
The fire began around 8 p.m. in the 100 block of Fallswater Cr. When crews arrived, smoke and flames were coming from the exterior of the house due to a natural gas leak.
Firefighters suspect the gas meter was struck by lightning. There were no injuries.
Two hours before, crews were called to put out a fire at a three-story apartment on Kensington Road. They say heavy flames engulfed the top two floors of the building.
It took 40 firefighters to put out the fire. Crews managed to rescue several pets in the process.
All occupants were able to self-evacuate but 20 residents have been displaced from their homes. The Red Cross is working to find them temporary lodging.
That incident is currently under investigation.
The battalion chief said the high heat – around 31 degrees with the humidex – made it difficult for crews to contain the flames. It is unclear if the heat caused or fuelled the fire.
And earlier in the day, firefighters were called to house fires in the communities of Prestwick and Sandstone. There were no injuries in either blaze.
With files from Taylor Braat (CityNews).