CARSTAIRS (660 NEWS) – A man from Sylvan Lake has been charged following a crash on the QEII highway Wednesday.
The individual has been charged with 18 criminal code offences.
Some of the charges include:
· Break and enter into a dwelling
· Attempted theft of a motor vehicle
· Possession of stolen property over $5000
· Dangerous operation of a conveyance (x2)
· Operation while prohibited
· Flight from peace officer
· Fail to stop after accident
· Resist arrest
· Escape lawful custody
· Fail to comply with conditions (x8)
· Operate uninsured motor vehicle (TSA) (x2)
On July 29 at around 7:21 a.m., RCMP in Didsbury got reports of a suspicious person in a car outside of a home in Carstairs.
Police were able to locate the suspect, however, he quickly fled on foot.
The suspect then broke into a nearby home and started a van that was sitting in the garage, and as police tried to remove him, the van was able to leave the garage at a high rate of speed.
The suspect fled the scene heading eastbound on Highway 581.
The van then continued southbound on Highway 2.
Multiple units were sent out to assist, but the suspect crossed the center medians and travelled southbound in northbound lanes, almost causing head-on collisions with other cars.
Police were able to set up roadblocks on the overpass near Highway 72, but the suspect ended up colliding into multiple police cars then later ended up in the ditch.
The man was arrested on scene, and three RCMP officers were injured in the incident.
All were assessed by EMS, and two officers suffered minor injures.