Loading articles...

Alberta records one additional COVID-19 death, 94 new cases found in the last two days

Alberta Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw during her COVID-19 update. (CREDIT: Livestream, June 19)

EDMONTON (660NEWS) — Alberta Health officials reported an additional COVID-19 related death in the South zone and 94 new cases of the virus in the past 48 hours.

There were 30 additional cases found on June 30 and 64 cases on July 1.

As of Thursday, Alberta has 542 active cases. Of those, 233 are in the Edmonton zone and 222 in the Calgary zone.

Forty-four people are currently hospitalized, eight are in the intensive care unit.

Public Health officials continue to monitor an outbreak at a Calgary condominium building located in the East Village, as confirmed cases have risen to 52, 29 are still active.

“That’s based on significant amounts of testing and work being done with local public health in collaboration with the residents and management in that building,” Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, said during Thursday’s update.

Health officials are tracking outbreaks linked to four popular restaurants in Edmonton which were announced earlier this week.

Currently, there are 16 cases associated with the Greta Bar, seven at Earl’s Tin Palace, 11 at The Pint and 10 at Local.

Alberta is coming up on four months since it reported its first case of COVID-19 in early March.

“It is hard to believe it’s now July. We are halfway through the year and so far, it’s been a year I imagine not many of us would be eager to repeat,” Hinshaw said.

“Although we may be done with COVID, it is not yet done with us.”

Hinshaw reminded the public that there continues to be a risk of contracting the virus and that health officials have seen cases in all age groups, recently seeing an increase in those between the ages of 20 to 39.

“COVID-19 is still here. It will be with us all summer and into the fall, and it will almost certainly be here when we ring in the new year,” she said.

Hinshaw said she will take next week off to spend time with her family.

Updates will continue to be posted online each day and if there is any risk to the public the deputy chief medical officer of health will hold an announcement.