CALGARY (660 NEWS) – Alberta Health officials say three more people have died from COVID-19 in the province.
Two deaths are in the Calgary Zone, a woman in her 80s and woman in her 60s, and one death in the Edmonton area, a man in his 70s.
“One of these deaths was linked to a continuing care outbreak in Calgary highlighting yet again how important it is to protect people in these facilities from being exposed,” Alberta Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, said Thursday.
“We now have 151 cases of COVID-19 in staff and residents in continuing care facilities.”
Officials also say there are now 28 new confirmed cases in the province bringing the total to 1,451.
During today’s provincial update, Hinshaw said of the total cases, 192 are believed to be from community transmission.
So far 592 people have recovered from the virus.
Question about whether golf course would be able to re-open came up during questions, with Hinshaw deeming them non-essential services.
BAD NEWS, golfers!!!
Hinshaw says they've had many questions- they are a non-essential services. Workers can attend the grounds, but golf courses CANNOT open to the public under these public health measures. #yeg #yyc #ableg
— Courtney Theriault (@cspotweet) April 9, 2020
Health Minister Tyler Shandro made a quick appearance where he announced a temporary expansion to the Peter Lougheed Hospital in Calgary. Shandro said Alberta based Sprung Structures has donated a temporary structure.
“Once complete the temporary structure will add up to 6,000 square feet of treatment space which provide for space for about 100 acute care beds.”
“The structures interior will be designed to support patients throughout the pandemic response,” Shandro said.
“The structure will be ready for use later this month in time for the expected peak of COVID-19 cases in our province – AHS is investing approximately $3 million to quickly turn the structure into a site for safe high-quality health care delivery.”