Loading articles...

25 new coronavirus cases confirmed in Ontario

Last Updated Mar 18, 2020 at 4:17 pm MDT

This undated electron microscope image made available by the U.S. National Institutes of Health in February 2020 shows the Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, orange, emerging from the surface of cells, green, cultured in the lab. Also known as 2019-nCoV, the virus causes COVID-19. The sample was isolated from a patient in the U.S. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, NIAID-RML

Ontario has confirmed 25 new cases of novel coronavirus, bringing the total for the province up to 212.

Fifteen of the 25 cases are travel related, two are close contact related and three are both travel and close contact related. Five are still pending.

Three of the cases are from Toronto and most others are from southern Ontario. Those who travelled, returned from the U.S., Europe, the Caribbean, Mexico, Pakistan, India, Brazil, Japan, Turkey and Austria.

All 25 new cases are self-isolating and five of the total cases have been resolved.

On Tuesday, the province reported its first COVID-19 related death.

A 77-year old man in the Muskoka region was a close contact of another positive case and wasn’t listed as a confirmed case before he died, said Ontario’s chief medical officer of health.

Rather, the man was under investigation for the virus and COVID-19 was discovered after his death, Dr. David Williams said.

Over 10,000 people have tested negative so far and the province is currently investigating over 3,300 cases.