Loading articles...

House catches fires after open flame used to thaw pipes

Last Updated Jan 14, 2020 at 6:27 pm MST

FILE PHOTO: A Calgary firefighter at the scene after a natural gas line burst and caught fire in the northwest on Friday, Nov. 8, 2019. (PHOTO: Tom Ross, 660 NEWS)

CALGARY (660 NEWS) – Calgary fire crews responded to reports of a house fire on Bermondsey Way in the northwest Tuesday morning.

Upon arriving on the scene, crews found a house full of smoke with a fire in the basement.

Two adults had already evacuated the building prior to the crews’ arrival.

One adult male was assessed by EMS for smoke inhalation and there were no other reported injuries.

Extensive fire and smoke damage to the home was found after the blaze was extinguished.

RELATED: Calgary Fire finds high level of CO due to frozen fresh air intake

The fire initially was started after an open flame was used in an attempt to thaw frozen pipes and ignited other nearby combustible items.

Following the incident, the Calgary Fire Department reminds the public to never use an open flame to try to thaw pipes. Instead, they suggest using a hairdryer and to leave the faucet on while you apply the heat.

In addition, always have a home escape plan, use caution when using space heaters, check furnaces and exhaust vents for snow or ice, and never use barbeques, camping heaters, gas or coal stoves, or a generator indoors.