Loading articles...

Calgary Fire finds high level of CO due to frozen fresh air intake

Last Updated Jan 14, 2020 at 3:37 pm MST

(Photo by Chelsey Harms/660 NEWS)

CALGARY (660 NEWS) – Calgary fire crews responded to a call from a residential high rise building early morning Tuesday regarding an individual experiencing breathing issues.

Upon arriving at the building on Horton Road and entering the individual’s suite, the crew’s portable gas monitor alerted them to heightened levels of carbon monoxide, (CO).

Crews then removed the patient, assessed him en route to the lobby, and had EMS transport the patient to a hospital.

RELATED: ‘It could really save your life’: Calgary boy encourages carbon monoxide alarms

The building was then evacuated while crews went floor to floor testing for more air quality issues. They found multiple carbon monoxide hotspots and several stand-alone CO alarms that were triggered.

After an investigation, a fresh air intake on the roof was found to have frozen over and had created a buildup of the gas. After crews ventilated the building and deemed it safe, residents were allowed back in.

RELATED: Ten people sent to hospital after CO gas leak in Calgary home

Around 150 people were briefly evacuated, but have since been returned to their suites with no reported injuries.

In light of the incident, the Calgary Fire Department is reminding everyone of the importance of keeping working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of their homes.

RELATED: Northwest condo building evacuated due to carbon monoxide

Always have a home escape plan, use caution when using space heaters, check furnaces and exhaust vents for snow or ice, and never use barbeques, camping heaters, gas or coal stoves, or a generator indoors.