CALGARY (660 NEWS) — After over a hundred customers at a Calgary restaurant fell ill from norovirus; owners are stepping up their measures to prevent it from happening again.
Alberta Health Services ordered Jerusalem Shawarma on 16th Avenue northwest to make some changes earlier in December relating to their food storage and handling practices following the reports. They concluded norovirus was the source of the sickness.
In a letter, the owners of the restaurant said they have implemented a new Seasonal Illness Prevention Plan at all three of their locations in Calgary.
This includes an independent compliance office to ensure compliance and enhanced training, mandatory sick leave for all staff, and an internal system to record and investigate any illness-related complaint.
AHS was able to determine some food was being stored at an improper temperature, while the staff was using unsanitary utensils.
Jerusalem Shawarma thanks customers and AHS for working with them, and they anticipate business will return to normal shortly.
Norovirus is also known as the winter vomiting bug, resulting in diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain. It is usually spread through the fecal-oral route, which can include contaminated food or water. Prevention includes proper hand washing and disinfection of contaminated surfaces. However, there is no specific treatment apart from managing dehydration, but recovery typically occurs within one to three days.