Loading articles...

Ottawa announces $8.3 million in support for beef industry amid China standoff

Last Updated Jul 10, 2019 at 1:33 pm MDT

Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, speaks during a news conference following a meeting with the the pork and beef industries in Montreal, on July 3, 2019. Canada’s agriculture ministers has announced $8.3 million in funding to support Canada’s beef industry, the bulk of it aimed at reaching new markets. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

CALGARY — The federal agriculture minister has announced $8.3 million to help support Canada’s beef industry.

The bulk of the funds announced in Calgary today will go toward Canada Beef, a marketing organization, to grow beef sales internationally.

Marie-Claude Bibeau says the move was not a reaction to an ongoing trade standoff with China.

The Chinese Embassy said last month that it asked Canada to suspend all meat exports after inspectors detected a feed additive residue.

Bibeau says her office is working around the clock to resolve the issue and conversations with Chinese officials are happening daily.

She says Canada has submitted a plan with China that she says she hopes will reassure the country enough to re-open the market soon.

The Canadian Press