Easter attack probe continues despite president's objection
Loading articles...

Easter attack probe continues despite president's objection

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka — A Sri Lankan lawmaker says a parliamentary committee will continue questioning security and intelligence officials about lapses that preceded Easter Sunday bomb attacks by Islamic extremists, despite objections by the country’s president.

Jayampathi Wickramaratne says the interviews will be held behind closed doors if they are deemed sensitive to security.

President Maithripala Sirisena told top police officials last week that he is against the committee discussing sensitive details in the presence of the media, and that it should not investigate lapses while court cases are being heard on the same issues.

His objection came after some officials hinted at shortcomings by Sirisena, who is also the defence minister and minister of police.

More than 250 people were killed in six suicide attacks on April 21.

The Associated Press

Join the conversation

Please read our commenting policies