Cause of recent N.E. Calgary fire that destroyed homes released - 660 CITYNEWS
Loading articles...

Cause of recent N.E. Calgary fire that destroyed homes released

(Darren Wright - CityNews)

Overheated cooking oil is being blamed for starting a fire that destroyed a handful of homes in Calgary last week.

The blaze in the northeast community of Monterey Park started in the garage of one home and spread to properties on either side, causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

Carol Henke with the Calgary Fire Department says someone was cooking in the garage and left a large pot of oil unattended.

It caught fire and quickly spread.

She says unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires that start inside homes.