A Canadian killed in a terrorist attack on a popular street in Barcelona was described by his family as a man who enjoyed lively debate and travelling.
Ian Moore Wilson was the father of a Vancouver police officer.
Vancouver police issued a statement from the officer’s family saying Wilson was killed when a van plowed into crowds of tourists on Thursday.
Wilson is described as a loving husband to his wife Valerie Wilson of 53 years, a father, brother and grandfather who was “always game for a lively debate, a good book exploring new places, and a proper-sized pint.”
The family says they intend on focusing on “the extraordinary acts of human kindness” they’ve experienced despite the tragedy because that’s what Wilson would have wanted.
They say they’ve received support from Vancouver police, the RCMP, airlines and emergency responders in Spain who helped Wilson in his final moments and provided urgent medical care to Valerie Wilson.
“These are the things we will choose to focus on when we endeavour to come to terms with the senseless violence and acts of hatred that have taken loved ones before their time,” the statement said.
The family has asked that their privacy be respected.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Friday that in addition to the Canadian who was killed, four other Canadians were injured in the terrorist attack.
“It was with great sadness that I learned today that one Canadian was killed and four others injured during (Thursday’s) cowardly terrorist attack in Barcelona,” Trudeau said in a statement.
“Sophie and I offer our condolences to the families and friends in mourning, and hope for a speedy recovery for the injured Canadians.
“We join Spain and countries around the world in grieving the senseless loss of so many innocent people. We must stand firm against the spread of hate and intolerance in all its forms. These violent acts that seek to divide us will only strengthen our resolve.”
The details about those who were injured or their current condition has not been released. Canadian officials say they are in touch with the affected families.
In total 13 people were killed in Barcelona and another in a separate attack in the resort town of Cambrils south of Barcelona. As many as 100 were injured.
Spanish authorities said citizens from 34 different countries were among the dead and injured.
— EmergènciesCatalunya (@emergenciescat) August 18, 2017
In a statement released earlier in the day on Friday, Global Affairs Canada said Canadians were affected in the attack but did not provide details.
“Our thoughts are with the Canadians who were affected by the terrorist attack that occurred in Barcelona, Spain,” Global Affairs Canada said in a statement.
“Global Affairs Canada is communicating with local authorities in order to gather additional information and we are in contact with the family members of the affected Canadian citizens in order to provide consular assistance. For privacy reasons, we are not able to release any further details.”
Canadians in Spain who require emergency consular assistance can contact the Consulate of Canada in Barcelona at +34 93 270 3614 or, call the government’s 24/7 Emergency Watch and Response Centre at +1 613 996 8885, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Las Ramblas is a tree-lined pedestrian mall lined with cafes and souvenir kiosks. There are two narrow service roads running along either side of the pedestrian mall.
Canadian Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer tweeted: “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims. We stand together condemning these horrific acts of terrorism.”
NDP Leader Tom Mulcair called it terrible news: “We stand with Spain and all those impacted by this terror attack.”
Authorities were still reeling from the Barcelona attack when police in the popular seaside town of Cambrils, about 130 kilometres to the south, fatally shot five people near the town’s boardwalk who had plowed into a group of tourists and locals with their blue Audi 3. Catalonia’s interior minister, Joaquim Forn, told Onda Cero radio they were wearing fake bomb belts.
One woman died Friday from her injuries in the Cambrils attack, Catalan police said on Twitter. Five others were injured.
Amid heavy security, Barcelona tried to move forward Friday, with its iconic Las Ramblas promenade quietly reopening to the public and King Felipe VI and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy joining thousands of residents and visitors in observing a minute of silence in the city’s main square.
“I am not afraid! I am not afraid!” the crowd chanted in Catalan amid applause.
The dual attacks unnerved a country that hasn’t seen an Islamic extremist attack since 2004, when al-Qaeda-inspired bombers killed 192 people in co-ordinated assaults on Madrid’s commuter trains. Unlike France, Britain, Sweden and Germany, Spain has largely been spared, thanks in part to a crackdown that has netted some 200 suspected jihadis in recent years.