After city council approved changes to let Uber hit the road earlier this week, the ride-sharing service hopes drivers will start Dec. 6.
While the company’s Alberta general manager said they still have to work through logistics, they have applied to have a court injunction banning the service from operating in our city lifted and hope it’ll be ready by next Tuesday.
Ramit Kar also said the company is in discussions on all legal matters, including the costs associated with the injunction.
“As days go by, day on day, there are many, many more drivers coming on and showing more interest,” Kar said on Wednesday. “We expect to have quite a few drivers, to have reliable experience right on day one.”
He did confirm there are 100,000 riders who have signed up to use the app, while hundreds hope to be drivers.
Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi shed some light on the return of Uber and what happens next while at an event for the Food Bank.
He says it’s been a long path just to get to this point.
It began as both he and the city, weren’t willing to compromise on rules that would have put the safety of passengers at risk.
Nenshi tells City News the city wasn’t willing to compromise on rules that would have put the safety of passengers at risk.
“Like insurance, like vehicle inspections, like driver’s licensing so I’m really happy that all of that has been sorted out now, that the transportation network companies including Uber have agreed to all of these conditions and I understand that Uber will be launching in Calgary prior to the holiday season, so that’s a great option for people.”
The mayor says Uber agreed to operate under the auspices of the new by-laws so there was no longer a need to keep the injunction in place.
Nenshi had found himself in hot water earlier this year after he was covertly taped bad mouthing the ride-sharing service and its CEO.