Loading articles...

Crews put out fire at abandoned fireworks storage unit

Firefighters are mopping up hot spots after a potentially explosive blaze in a rural area near the southeast neighbourhood of Copperfield.

The fire started early Wednesday morning in an abandoned building that at one point was used to store fireworks.

The flames were put out quickly; it took about five minutes to get the area under control.

Acting Battalion Chief Fred Rogi tells 660News it’s still unclear what sparked the blaze.

“At this time we don’t know,” he says. “The investigators are on scene; they should have an answer later on today, or maybe tomorrow.”

Damage is extensive to the north side of the building; the shed will likely have to be torn down.

Investigators are still trying to locate the owners.

Rogi adds homes were never in any danger, and exposure was limited.